Your Nearest Location
Who has to file taxes? It’s one of those questions that is easy and hard at the same time! The difference between the right and wrong answer can cost you a lot of headaches (and money!) with the IRS. So, avoid the headaches, save yourself un dinerito, and let your Fiesta Certified Tax Preparer help you figure out who has to file taxes. Below is some basic information that you can review as you make your way to your nearest Fiesta location.
You’ll probably have to file federal taxes if you meet these income requirements:
- You’re single and made at least $10,400
- You’re married and made at least $20,800 together
- You’re self-employed and made at least $400
- You sold your home
- You owe taxes from Social Security or Medicare on tips
Your immigration status matters when filing federal taxes:
Filing federal taxes is not only for citizens or people with green cards. So, who has to file taxes and pay? Here is a summary, but make sure to ask one of our certified tax preparers so we can give you the right tax advice based on your immigration status.
- U.S. citizens and persons with green cards are required to file and pay federal taxes. It doesn’t matter if the money was earned in the U.S. or another country, you have to report it to the IRS when you file your taxes.
- Persons with non-immigrant visas may or may not have to file and pay federal taxes. This depends on how much time they spend in the U.S. If you spend at least 183 days of the current year in the U.S. you will need to file federal taxes. BUT, the math gets complicated (don’t you love math?!) when you factor days in earlier years, so it’s best to let the Fiesta team help you figure this one out.
The moral of the story is that simple questions can have complicated answers when it comes to taxes. The best thing to do is to get advice from someone who really knows taxes and understands the needs of Latinos like you. Visit your nearest Fiesta location and talk to one of our tax preparers so we can walk you through these questions and help you prepare your taxes right, quickly and on time.